Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Thursday, July 7, 2022
Elevate Labs is on a mission to improve people's minds.
We’ve helped millions of people around the world learn and improve concrete communication, memory, and math skills through Elevate, our first mobile app which has won Apple's App of the Year Award and been downloaded more than 50 million times. With Balance, our second mobile app and winner of Google's Best App award, we’ve personalized meditation and made it free for an entire year to help more people reduce stress, improve sleep, sharpen focus, and much more.
Elevate Labs is a fully distributed company of voracious learners and passionate doers, driven by our vision to help billions of people lead healthy, joyful, and productive lives.
If our mission resonates with you, please consider applying!
You’ll lead the continued development of the backend for our flagship app, Elevate, an Apple App of the Year winner. We're looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who has a passion for building great user experiences, pays meticulous attention to details, and believes in software that helps its users. In our collaborative environment, you'll be working cross-functionally on the Elevate app to build and maintain features that educate and delight our customers. As a senior member of the team, you’ll have the opportunity to guide the direction of our products and our engineering team.
This is a fully remote position anywhere in North or South America (the entire company is remote).
How You’ll Make an Impact Here:
- You’ll be the primary developer responsible for the Elevate app backend on a small interdisciplinary engineering team
- Lead the technical design and implementation of complex projects by working closely with Product Management, Design, and Content to define problems, come up with solutions, and deliver incredible user experiences
- Mentor your fellow teammates to help them grow as engineers and be open to learning from your teammates as you continue to grow your own skills
- Introduce new ideas to help the team iterate on process and technology
- While backend will be your focus, you’ll occasionally help out your teammates in other areas of the stack (DevOps, Web, Android, iOS, Games, etc.)
- You have 5+ years of professional software experience in backend development
- You are passionate about user experience
- You are proficient with Ruby on Rails
- You have experience with Postgres and Redis
- You strive for well-tested and automated systems
- You communicate clearly and participate in design reviews and code reviews
- You stay up to date with the latest RoR and backend development news and technologies
- You have integrated 3rd party APIs, especially single sign-on, purchasing, and analytics
- You have shipped at least one customer-facing product
- Experience with Heroku and AWS
- Experience with backends for mobile apps
- Experience with web or full stack development
- Experience with Hotwire
- Experience with GitHub Actions or a similar CI/CD platform
- Experience with Python
- Experience with building and maintaining content delivery systems
- Interest in cognitive training and educational technology
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Distributed team flexibility, with a home-office stipend and co-working reimbursement
- Annual learning, wellness, and travel stipends
- Generous PTO, flexible sick leave, and paid parental leave
- Annual company meetup in fun location
How We Hire:
At Elevate Labs, we seek to build high-impact, talent-dense teams and invest a lot of time and care into the hiring process. Your resume will be reviewed by a human, so we encourage you to keep resumes short (one page should do), double-check for grammar errors, and submit it as a PDF.
During the interview process, you can expect conversational-style sessions, some with a technical focus, and coding exercises in Ruby.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion:
We believe that there is no single candidate profile that guarantees success in this role. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is similar to the job description and you think you can excel in this role, please apply and tell us about yourself and the impact you could make at Elevate Labs.
We also know that diversity of identity, experience, and thought leads to more creativity, better problem-solving, and wiser decisions, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team. We are an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We highly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, veterans, and people with disabilities.
See more open positions at Elevate
Something looks off?