Swing Education is an online staffing marketplace that connects substitute teachers with schools.
Founded in 2015 by former K-12 educators and administrators, Swing makes it easier for schools and districts to find reliable, qualified substitute teachers when they need them most. With over 500,000 absence days filled to date, Swing is dedicated to improving the experience of finding substitute teachers, becoming a sub, and keeping student learning on track. Swing serves over 2,800 partner schools across California, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, New Jersey, New York, and Washington D.C.
Swing Education is proud to be a Minority-Owned Business; all three of our co-founders, including our CEO, CTO, and COO, are people of color. One of our founders is a woman of color. Our board of directors is also 60% female and 75% people of color. Swing Education strives to embrace Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion across the company, and embraces these values not only in its corporate hiring decisions, but also in its day to day interactions with and management of Swing Subs. Over 50% of our staff are women, and 60% are people of color (30% underrepresented groups). To learn more about Swing Education and our Core Values please click here.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will partner with product management and design to architect, implement, test, iterate and maintain features that will bring unprecedented technology to the school and substitute teacher marketplace. You will play a key role in helping us mature our codebase, infrastructure, processes and products. This role will meaningfully impact Swing’s mission to ensure that learning never stops in K-12 classrooms.
This will be a full-time remote position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Foster a collaborative environment for you and your teammates to deliver high-quality, reliable, and well-tested features
- Ensure that the code meets performance, reliability, quality, security, and testability standards
- Mentor others to solve problems and lead complex projects
- Champion building products that produce valuable outcomes for our users
- Collaborate closely with product management and design on requirements, priorities, sizing efforts and tradeoffs
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to accomplish our holistic company goals
- FE: Typescript, React with isolated Clojure
- BE: Clojure
- Data stores: Datomic, DynamoDB, Redshift
- Cloud: AWS
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ years of professional full stack software development experience
- 1+ years experience with Clojure
- Experience in using Datomic Cloud
- Experience in Typescript and Postgres
- Significant experience designing and architecting software solutions
- Significant experience building and consuming APIs
- Experience leading projects and mentoring others to solve problems
- Comfortable with modern infrastructure essentials like AWS, Docker, CI/CD tools, etc.
- Experience developing and shipping production-grade services in an agile, product-oriented environment
- Track record for becoming a domain expert in both technical and business areas
Some Nice to Haves:
- Previous experience with Reagent/re-frame
- Previous experience building/deploying UI component libraries
- Previous mobile development experience via React Native
- Previous EdTech, startup, or online marketplace experience
- New user onboarding and first touch tailoring experience
We’re Looking for Someone Who Has:
- Excitement about working at a mission-driven startup, and the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the trajectory of the company
- Passion to foster a diverse and inclusive culture
- High standards, for themself and others, and attention to detail
- Pride in owning projects end to end and driving them to successful completion
- A strong sense of urgency and a bias to action
- Open communication skills — asks questions, assumes good intentions, and defaults to transparency
Salary is commensurate on experience and is adjusted for cost of living standards dependent on position location. Swing Education offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following perks:
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Stock options
- Professional development reimbursement program
- Co-working membership reimbursement
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.