Software Engineer - Messaging, Routing Platform
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to build and maintain reliable systems to support messaging traffic routing.
As a Software Engineer in the team, you will be partnering with product managers, architects and other engineers to deliver Messaging product features. You will be implementing new services and enhancing existing ones, so we can continue to offer reliable and highly scalable message delivery services to our customers globally.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop new software functionality to fulfill our customers business needs while ensuring continuous delivery with high quality.
- Keep our stack up and running while following a quality-first mindset. Support production operations, building, releasing and assisting with team on-call.
- Review code and offer improvements to practices and processes to elevate the team and broader organization.
- Contribute to feature ideas and betterments through tight cooperation inside and outside of your immediate team.
- Build trust and reliability in your products, review performance against service level objectives, address incidents and prioritize improvements.
- Be an active member of a highly efficient Agile Scrum engineering team.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years of Software development experience.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of software development and best practices for RESTful service implementation.
- Understanding of scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable and resilient systems.
- Passion about quality and testing. You are able to design and develop CI/CD quality pipelines requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Strong oral and written communication skills: be prepared to frequently propose and discuss ideas and implementation details with your teammates, as well as involving other stakeholders in Twilio - we’re one single team, no one flies solo!
- Experience from documenting your solutions and proposals.
- Working knowledge of Kafka, MySQL, DynamoDB, Java, Scala.
- Willingness and experience to mentor young talent.
- Proficiency on at least one of the cloud platforms - AWS, Azure, or GCP. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
This role will be based in our Tallinn, Estonia office or remotely in Estonia.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.