Manager, Commercial Contracts
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Manager, Commercial Contracts.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
We are looking for a Manager, Commercial Contracts to join our Legal Strategy & Operations function, supporting Twilio’s Go-To-Market (GTM) and Telecom Carrier Relations organizations. Reporting to the Director of Legal Strategy & Operations, you will manage our Center of Excellence function, which currently consists of three Contracts professionals. The Center of Excellence serves as the first legal point of contact to the GTM organization for all incoming legal support requests. The Center of Excellence also directly supports Twilio’s Commercial Legal team and Telecom Carrier Legal team by reviewing and vetting requests for legal support on all commercial contracts-related matters, negotiating NDAs and consent to assignments, and drafting order forms, statements of work, and change orders. In this role, you will be expected to act as both a player (do the day-to-day work alongside your team) and a coach (manage and mentor your team) simultaneously.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage and mentor a talented team of Contracts professionals and invest in their professional growth and development
- Analyze problems and devise potential solutions to issues raised by Contracts professionals prior to escalation
- Review, vet, and provide timely responses to a high volume of incoming requests for legal support on complex general inquiries, agreement negotiation requests, and a variety of miscellaneous documents (e.g., RFPs, questionnaires/assessments), while ensuring adherence to contracting processes and policies
- Serve as a first point of contact to provide education and guidance to your GTM colleagues
- Be an operational expert on Twilio’s GTM and carrier contracting processes, policies, and framework
- Independently review and negotiate NDAs and consent to assignments and draft non-standard contractual terms into order forms, statements of work, and change orders
- Regularly analyze the performance of the Center of Excellence in order to identify gaps, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies and make recommendations to solve those issues
- Provide support on a variety of ad-hoc operational projects and tasks
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience as a Contracts Specialist or Contracts Manager, which includes reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of customer-facing contracts, such as NDAs, master services agreements, order forms, RFPs, statements of work, and change orders; within a high growth technology company is a plus
- 2+ years of experience managing and professionally growing a multi-member team of contracts professionals
- Experience supporting GTM / Sales organizations of complex requests for legal support
- Experience creating and maintaining process documentation and policies
- Experience using commercial contracting tools, including Salesforce, Conga CLM, Agiloft CLM, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, DocuSign, and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage a high volume of work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Experience being part of or managing a globally distributed legal center of excellence or shared services function
- A strong knack for using and analyzing data to make data-driven decisions
- Familiarity with telecom carrier agreements
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, interest for learning new things, and desire to get things done
This role will be remote but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, San Jose, CA, or the surrounding areas.
Approximately 10% of travel is expected.
*Please note, this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $99,360.00-$124,200.00
- Based in New York, Washington State, or California (outside of the San Francisco Bay area): $105,200.00- $131,500.00
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $116,880.00 -$146,100.00
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.