Senior Patent Agent
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
This is a California Remote, Exempt, Full Time position. The individual hired for this role must be located in the San Francisco, Bay Area, as occasional visits to our San Leandro, CA office will be required. This position reports to the VP of IP & General Counsel of the Company.
What we are looking for in you:
The Senior Patent Agent will join a newly formed legal team, serving as a champion of intellectual property at the organization. This key role offers the opportunity for an ownership-minded Patent Agent to build a foundational patent portfolio and help drive commercial success. This position will be trusted to manage critical touchpoints in building the organization's patent portfolio, serving as the primary point of contact for our patent portfolio and technical liaison. This role will report to our Vice President of Intellectual Property and General Counsel.
What you will be doing:
- Prepare and prosecute high-quality patent applications together with outside counsel as the primary internal patent portfolio manager
- Scout and drive patentable inventions through regular interactions with technical teams
- Perform patentability and FTO searches in support of R&D and business teams
- Build a knowledge base and establish ongoing monitoring of competitor patent portfolios
- Perform IP landscape surveys in support of current and future product opportunities
- Acquire a deep technical understanding of the R&D together with the business goals, and help formulate appropriate IP strategies to protect innovations
- Provide education and guidance regarding patent matters across the organization
What you must have:
- 5+ years of experience as a registered patent agent
- Admitted to practice before the USPTO
- Advanced degree in life sciences, microbiology, and related fields, Ph.D. preferred
- Strong patent prosecution experience in a biotechnology industry IP/legal department, including independent function and oversight over invention harvesting, pertinent filings, deadlines, and workflows
- Command of both US and international patent rules and practices
- Ensures accountability - holds self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Action-oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Collaborates - builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Drives engagement - creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Cultivates innovation - creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Strategic mindset - sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies
What you should have:
- Preferably with at least 2 years in-house with a biotechnology company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including executive leadership, R&D, Commercial, Regulatory, Legal, and third-party contacts
- Superior attention to detail and a sense of client service
- Creative problem-solving skills and initiative, flexibility, and ability to work independently
- Cultural and emotional intelligence to develop and nurture collaborative relationships in a diverse environment
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive Health Benefits, including ancillary benefits and HSA/FSA programs
- Unlimited PTO and Paid Holidays
- Parental Bonding Leave
- Retirement Plan with Company Match up to 4%
- Employee Equity
- Employee Development
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Weekly All-Hands Meetings
Air Protein is an equal opportunity employer:
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability – or any other status protected by law – to apply to join our team.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don’t tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
About Air Protein:
Imagine a protein company unlike anything that has come before! Air Protein™ is on a mission to impact climate change by revolutionizing how we make protein. Founded in 2019, we make protein from elements of the air.
Air Protein is a modern food company, crafting the world’s first air-based protein to feed us more sustainably, help renew the planet’s resources and eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air around us into protein using probiotic cultures, then turn those proteins into any meat imaginable. It’s where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
Join our team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to transform the future of food with solutions we never thought possible, creating meat that is nutritious, delicious and more sustainable. Air Protein uses less land, less water and is significantly faster to make than any other meat available.
In addition to the chance to work with cutting edge technology to help combat climate change and working toward addressing the impending food crisis, Air Protein employees also enjoy competitive benefits and total compensation plans and a collaborative company culture. If you join us on this relentless pursuit for more, changing the world will soon feel as natural as taking a breath.
Air Protein is funded by ADM, a world leader in fermentation technology, GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Barclays, one of the world’s leading financial institutions.
World Economic Forum:Air Protein Named WEF Technology Pioneer