Head of Business Data Science
Our business data science team partners with business and product teams to improve our decision making at all levels of the company. Business data scientists are embedded with stakeholder teams including marketing and revenue, and provide tools, models and analysis that steer partner teams towards growth and efficiency.
Asana is looking for an experienced leader to join us as our Head of Business Data Science. As the leader of business data science, you’ll be responsible for working closely with the business leadership team to set the vision and plan of how data impacts Asana’s business, and growing and supporting data scientists as they execute.In setting a vision for the organization, you will develop a culture of excellence, grow leaders, and inspire innovation.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Lead and manage a team of 10+ data scientists and managers partnering with Asana's business teams e.g. sales, marketing, customer success
- Collaborate with business executives in defining our strategy to deliver value to our customers and grow the business, and up-level how data enables setting and executing on that strategy
- Implement team practices that empower business partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- In conjunction with your product data science counterpart, set norms, practices and processes for the broader data science team at Asana
- Guide data scientists in their technical and professional development. Foster a culture of excellence, ensuring both quality and velocity
- Hire top talent for the team, while partnering with recruiting on all aspects of the hiring process, and coach other data managers to excel at hiring
- As part of Asana’s data leadership, set the vision for the impact of data at Asana, decide our data governance standards and practices, provide input to data infrastructure teams, and clarify roles & responsibilities for cross-team collaboration
- Make your own hands-on contributions to the team’s data science work as they design and analyze experiments, build ML and analytical models, and answer key questions with data
- Experience managing data science teams supporting go-to-market teams (Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience etc.) focused on Enterprise customers, and ideally, with both product-led and sales-led motions
- Empathetic, collaborative, no-ego approach to leadership
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole. Demonstrated skill in growing strong data leaders and teams.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with marketing, sales and customer operations on both large, strategic data projects and small, routine requests
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Substantial expertise in in causal inference with observational data, quasi-experimentation, time series forecasting, developing productionized machine learning workflow, conducting strategic analyses to guide critical business decisions
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala) as well as SQL
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $353,000 - $477,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.