Tech Lead, API
Asana’s API gives external developers the power and flexibility to extend Asana's functionality in creative ways that Asana doesn't yet provide. In turn, this rich ecosystem of apps, integrations, and scripts helps us ensure that Asana can support every customer use case out there – no matter how big or small the team, and no matter which tools or workflows they use. The API team at Asana builds the Developer Platform that makes this possible; we own the gateway that facilitates data flow in and out of Asana.
We’re looking for an experienced Technical Lead to help us make our Developer Platform come to life, driving execution and technical vision for the team. Your scope will range from assisting teams in exposing new product functionality via the API, to overseeing foundational changes to our API’s core features and security model, to rearchitecting the underlying API frameworks for simplicity and ease-of-use, to mentoring and assisting the other engineers on the team. If you care deeply about building effective developer experiences and high-performing engineering teams, then we’d love to hear from you!
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Set the technical strategy for the API platform within Asana and advocate for engineering-driven investments, with a vision for keeping our systems flexible and maintainable to meet customer needs now and in the future
- Drive the team to continually and holistically better itself, enabling the engineers around you to deliver at a high velocity while helping them grow their skills in the process
- Be a key collaborator with other groups in Engineering and a technical counterpart to the API team’s Engineering Manager, serving as a public face for API engineering and representing our interests across team boundaries
- Partner with Product Management, Design, Data Science, and User Research to deeply understand developer needs, and then propose elegant solutions to meet them
- Own and shape the guidelines for what good API design looks like, partnering with product engineering teams to help them implement those best practices in a self-serve manner
- 6+ years of experience working in large codebases
- 2+ years leading engineering teams
- 1+ years building public-facing API products or Developer Platforms
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and delegation skills
- Quick learner and comfortable transitioning between different contexts and codebases, enabling you to jump in and rapidly unblock teammates facing thorny obstacles
- Deep project management experience including high-level timeline planning, risk mitigation, stakeholder management, and coordinating the work of others
- Passionate about mentoring engineers at all skill levels; able to identify technical growth opportunities and deliver thoughtful, candid feedback
- Excited to be a part of an inclusive culture where everyone brings the aspects of themselves to the workplace that they need to thrive, fostering an environment of psychological safety within your team
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $248,000 - $316,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.