Lead Commercial Counsel, NAMER
You will be a part of our global legal team that works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling the world’s teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group responsible for supporting many teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to navigate them through challenging issues, and we’re growing our team.
Specifically, we’re looking for a San Francisco-based Commercial Counsel to join our commercial legal team. In this role you’ll work closely with individuals across the organization in support of various legal-related matters, with a primary focus on supporting the sales team. This is a great opportunity to join a mission-driven company and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues with the opportunity for career development and growth. You will be reporting to the Managing Counsel, Commercial.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Partner primarily with Asana’s Strategic, Enterprise, Channel Partner, Impact, and Asia-Pacific and Japan (APJ) sales teams to draft and negotiate complex outbound commercial agreements including SaaS Agreements and Partnership Agreements (with Resellers, Solutions Partners, Distributors, and/or Service Providers) and supporting agreements, such as DPAs and BAAs, in support of Asana’s growth
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders, including Finance, Deal Desk, Privacy, and Security, to develop processes and enforce applicable policies as they relate to global commercial contracting
- Provide timely and practical legal advice on a variety of customer-driven requests, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structure, approval process, and company policies and procedures
- Enable and train the sales teams by providing direct guidance on commonly requested revisions and non-standard terms and structures and respond to general contract questions
- Apply original, innovative thinking on a continuous basis to improve processes and systems, manage change, and better service customer needs, including developing scalable contracting frameworks, playbooks, and standards to support a business in high-growth mode
- Support and manage a variety of ad hoc projects with the team as they arise
- Stay abreast of emerging laws, regulations, and judicial decisions relevant to our business (including applicable competition and data protection laws), conduct thorough research and analysis to understand the implications and potential impact of these developments, and knowledge share with colleagues and develop guidance materials, as necessary
- 8+ years experience working in-house on software licensing transactions, preferably at a SaaS technology company.
- Law degree from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in the U.S.
- Proven experience supporting a sales organization and drafting and negotiating SaaS Agreements, Partnership Agreements (with Resellers, Solutions Partners, Distributors, and/or Service Providers), and supporting agreements, such as DPAs and BAAs
- Excellent legal and business judgment and integrity and high emotional intelligence
- Desire to work cross-functionally with Sales, Finance, Revenue Accounting, Deal Desk and teammates to make the complicated understandable and identify pathways to success with our customers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively and comfortably collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Track record of taking initiative, working independently, leading multiple projects with competing deadlines, and thriving in ambiguity; collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Asana’s values and business interests
- Demonstrated ability to quickly identify material and non-material risks and strategically negotiate based on circumstances; provides practical guidance for achieving Asana’s overall business goals and balances with legal risk
At Asana, we're committed to building teams that include a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, as this is critical to helping us achieve our mission. If you're interested in this role and don't meet every listed requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $238,000.00 - $302,000.00. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also comply with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws in other locations.