Head of Finance
ClassDojo's goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching ~51 million children in ~180 countries, with a team of just ~200 people ). We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with experience in education and large scale consumer internet companies, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Stripe, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you'll do:
As ClassDojo’s first finance leader, you’ll deploy the tools of finance to grow ClassDojo grows to our next order of magnitude, while deepening love for our brand. You’ll work closely with the rest of the executive team and cross-functional leaders to accelerate our business. Some specific outcomes you might achieve:
- You’ll build the next version of Dojo’s financial infrastructure.
- You’ll build our “full stack” operating model, working up from user-level activity metrics to company-level KPIs.
- You’ll run planning and forecasting, ensuring the business makes good capital allocation decisions on different time horizons.
- You’ll work with the business to help achieve growth goals, rather than just reporting the numbers. This could include working with product and engineering, or it could involve working with the Board and new investors in fundraising.
- You’ll build and lead the finance organization—and adjacent business functions (e.g. corp dev, biz dev, biz ops, investor relations, etc), if you have high believability in those areas
You might be a good fit if:
- You have scaled a high-growth tech startup to and through $500m+ in revenue, likely in an FP&A or strategic finance role.
- You have some business analysis experience—think consulting, investment banking, venture capital or private equity.
- You are a strong structured problem-solver in the face of ambiguity. You disaggregate complex problems and synthesize large amounts of quant and qual data into clear strategies and tactics.
- You are a strong cross-functional collaborator and thought partner, and have worked with product, engineering and marketing to create an operating plan, rhythm + operational model with KPIs.
- You are a hands-on, scrappy builder, and enjoy the 0 → 1 stage. And you operate at all altitudes: you can grasp the big picture, and ensure all the details are taken care of.
- You move faster than is comfortable; you are an instigator, and raise the bar for speed and scrappiness.
- You have high standards for yourself, and for your colleagues.
- You have B2C or B2C-like business model experience.
- You have helped a company through late-stage private financings, and/or public offerings.
- You have operating experience in disciplines adjacent to finance—for instance, biz ops, corp dev or fundraising.
- You are a former founder or founding team member.
 Some more context:
- ClassDojo's $125m Series D (Forbes) and Sam’s note about it.
- ClassDojo is one of Y Combinator’s Top 100 companies
- ClassDojo's Second Act Comes with First Profits (TechCrunch) and Sam's note about it.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.
Something looks off?