ClassDojo's goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching ~51 million children in ~180 countries, with a team of just ~200 people ). We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with experience in education and large scale consumer internet companies, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Stripe, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you’ll do:
ClassDojo is looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, talented and high-energy leader to build and oversee all aspects of the Company’s accounting operations and strategy, with an opportunity to own additional related areas such as payroll, tax, treasury, and procurement.
In this role, you will drive the implementation of financial systems, processes, and policies to support the financial health and efficient scaling of our entire business. You will oversee the company’s monthly close process, annual audits, financial reporting, and the overall control processes, with the goal of generating utmost confidence in the quality of our financial reports and processes both internally with employees, management, board of directors, and shareholders, as well as externally with partners, regulators and prospective investors.
You will initially manage our various external consultants handling accounting and tax operations, and soon thereafter will be asked to recruit, train, and lead a world-class team across GL, AP, technical / revenue accounting, financial reporting, payroll, tax, and treasury. In accomplishing your goals, you will partner with a range of stakeholders across the organization, including but not limited to leaders across our various business units as well as functional leaders across Finance, People, Engineering, Legal, and other teams. You will support the CFO and other executives across a range of strategic initiatives, including M&A, fundraising, secondary transactions, and potentially a future IPO. This role will report directly to the CFO.
You will be a match if:
- You have 12+ years of experience, with 4+ years at a top-tier accounting firm (audit / advisory roles) and 8+ years in-house accounting at fast growing startups, with increasing levels of responsibility, culminating in a controller or assistant controller role
- You have built an accounting team of meaningful scale and complexity, with 5+ team members including both managers and individual contributors
- You have navigated multiple years of clean audits, including an initial audit
- You have led major financial system transitions, (e.g. Quickbooks → Netsuite, Gusto → Workday) and implemented new systems to scale and standardize ad-hoc processes (e.g. Zip for procurement)
- You have overseen closely related fields (tax, treasury, payroll / stock admin, procurement, etc.), either through managing in-house personnel or external consultants
- Leadership - You have a proven record of finding and nurturing high potential talent and instilling a sense of integrity and ownership.
- Cross-functional effectiveness - You have demonstrated the ability to implement financial systems and processes with meaningful cross functional impact to support growth in volume and complexity of the business.
- Technical skills - You have expert understanding of US GAAP, particularly revenue accounting. Comfort in navigating a variety of revenue models (traditional SaaS, usage-based, marketplaces, etc.) and the downstream technical accounting implications.
- Strategic mindset - You have deep curiosity for the company’s products and business strategy, and how these could impact accounting decisions. Ability to articulate these decisions effectively in communications with external partners and internal leaders.
- Scrappiness - You can go from 0→1. Tendency to prioritize rigorously and preference for quality over volume. Demonstrated growth-mindset.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have 15+ years of total experience, with audit experience in a Big 4 accounting firm
- You have experience in a lead-level accounting role at a public tech company
- You have experience with complex businesses (multiple products with different revenue models)
- You have an active CPA
- You have experience with emerging Finance / Accounting focused AI tooling
- You have familiarity with accounting-related IPO readiness workstreams
- You have a strong network of seasoned accounting professionals and thought leaders
 Some more context:
- ClassDojo is one of Y Combinator’s Top 100 companies
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.