Senior Software Engineer, Observability
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Observability at Gusto is part of the Developer Experience team, a highly impactful engineering team that empowers the 200+ engineers at Gusto. Gusto product engineers move tens of billions of our customers’ dollars every year, and the Developer Experience team helps them work efficiently, securely, and enjoyably.
About this Role
This role is a Software Engineering role in our Technical Infrastructure Engineering group. The ideal candidate will be able to understand the needs of Gusto Product Engineers, and build the tools and services owned by the Developer Experience engineering team. The Developer Experience team is engaged at all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, we build tools to increase efficiency during feature development, ensure our continuous integration and continuous deployment process is efficient and delivers fast feedback, and provide observability tools to help engineers understand the behavior of our software in production.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build and improve our Observability Platform such that Engineers can easily understand the behavior and performance of their services in production environments.
- Ensure our services communicate with each other seamlessly, have minimal downtime, and recover quickly.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on coming up with best practices for writing, maintaining, and running observable services.
- Impact the productivity and happiness of our entire team with the tools you build. You'll be the daily recipient of hugs and high-fives from our engineering and support teams.
- Pager-duty rotation: Never fear! Most issues occur during work hours.
- Work with our product engineering teams to ensure high performance and observability of our services.
- Champion observability best practices across the organization. Educate and mentor team members while empowering them to leverage tools effectively.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Have 10+ years of experience in software development using Ruby, NodeJS, Golang, or similar
- Have 6+ years of experience in a Platform, SRE, or DevOps role using a Ruby/Kubernetes/AWS/Datadog stack or similar technologies (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, New Relic)
- Have developed best practices and tooling to instrument and monitor distributed systems, build and maintain service-oriented applications, control costs, and more
- Enjoy working with and deploying technologies such as Kubernetes, AWS, Ruby, Rails, MySql, Datadog, and Redis
- Love building tools enabling engineers to move faster, while maintaining security and usability
- Understand the importance of security and compliance when working with personal data
- Test infrastructure changes thoroughly and likes to double and triple check everything
- Effectively communicate observability findings and recommendations to technical and non-technical stakeholders
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $193,000 - 271,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $228,000-$293,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.