Senior Product Manager, Recommendation Systems
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. All Gusto roles posted in these metro areas come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- San Francisco Office Metro: San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA & San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metropolitan Statistical Areas
- Denver Office Metro: Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
- New York City Office Metro: New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Symmetry, Gusto’s subsidiary, has a physical office in Scottsdale. All Symmetry roles posted in this metro area come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week.
- Scottsdale Office Metro: Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Areas
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is looking for a Senior Product Manager who can build and execute a Platform strategy that uses Machine Learning (ML) and Personalization to build a world class understanding of our customers and make timely and relevant product recommendations. This role reports into the Growth Team and plays a key role in helping our customers get more value from our product offerings.
In this role you will build a data-driven recommendation Platform to better understand our customers, align their Jobs to be Done (JTBD) with Gusto's product offerings and facilitate timely matchings. You will build experiences that are delightful but non-intrusive, and connect with them on the right channel based on customer’s consent and preferences. You will also focus on improving the long- term value that a customer gets from Gusto by ensuring that they only use the products that are relevant to them.
You’ll be working with an established team and seasoned Growth leaders in Engineering, Product, Design, Data Science, Marketing, and Sales. In this role, you’ll work cross functionally to build Platforms that span the entire breadth of the Growth Stack using ML and Personalization to build world class content for our customers and provide timely relevant product recommendations.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer’s lifecycle and provide timely and delightful recommendations, jobs-to-be-done, and then translate into actionable strategy
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Data Science as well as Revenue counterparts in Sales and Customer Success to solve complex cross functional problems
- Set goals and strategy for your domain then translate it into a roadmap, milestones, and requirements collaboratively to drive alignment and excitement with your cross-functional partners and stakeholders
- Set, track and improve key product and business metrics
- Distill insights and data from key stakeholders, industry trends, competitive analysis, business and product metrics, and other sources to guide strategy
- Drive the product development process from concept to launch, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality products that delight customers and result in significant and measurable business impact
- Iterate on mature features using data and customer feedback to identify areas for improvement and optimization, and ensure experiences delight our customers and surpass our business goals
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 6-8 years of product management experience driving product adoption and business growth
- Bonus if you have experience building Recommendation Systems and/or Ad Serving Platforms in a SaaS environment
- Experience building delightful, relevant and non intrusive User Experiences
- Data and hypothesis driven, business-minded
- You know how to expertly leverage qualitative and quantitative data to develop and execute experiments and A/B tests that are optimized for learning
- You can measure the business impact of your work and tie it back to company goals
- Customer obsessed. You’re passionate about not only hitting business goals, but intimately knowing our customers and creating the best experiences to meet their needs. You know that the key to business growth is through happy customers
- Collaborative execution. You’re a great listener, and naturally bring the team and stakeholders along, yet you don’t hesitate to make hard decisions when needed. You push the pace, and people feel like they do their best work with you
- Objective learning. You get more excited when you’re wrong than when you’re right. You optimize for learning, and love peeling back the layers. Your favorite questions are “why” and “why not”
- Systems thinking. You enjoy complex challenges and navigate them deftly. You have a wealth of frameworks and mental models that you rely on to unpack problems and arrive at elegant solutions
- You can take rough themes and big ideas and turn them into a roadmap of features, experiments, and research with minimal guidance
- Passion. You love the problems Gusto’s solving for business owners and their employees, and you’re excited to continuously solve them better and better
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $158,000/yr to $188,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $192,000/yr to $228,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate location, experience and expertise, and may vary from the level and amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.