TEI Development Contributor, freelance
Our Technology-Enhanced Item (TEI) Assessment Contributors bring a wide variety of experience to the table, but they are all united by their passion for improving the lives of teachers and students and their commitment to developing engaging, student-centered, and culturally responsive resources. Newsela pairs these resources with technology-enhanced assessments to drive meaningful engagement with students, and provide informative and actionable data for teachers. To achieve this, TEI Assessment Contributors are responsible for:
- Production of standards-aligned, technology-enhanced assessments to accompany Newsela assets (articles, videos, images)
Why you're a great fit:
- Experience creating and designing assessments using best practices
- Demonstrated experience creating tech-enhanced items (TEI) through advanced assessment authoring tools like Formative, Learnosity, Edulastic, or ABBI for a district-wide audience or larger
- Strong professional writing experience, particularly for Curriculum Writing, Design & Instruction
- Experience in education, former teaching experience is a plus but is not required. Experience in 6th - 12th grades is a plus
- Experience working with nationwide publishers or providers (e.g., HMH, Pearson, Teachers Pay Teachers, Imagine Learning, or similar) is a plus
- Strong understanding of what makes a valid tech-enhanced item
- Strong understanding of Depth of Knowledge, rigor and differentiation
- Knowledge of ELA, social studies, and/or science standards and how to design assessments aligned to standards/reading skills
- Ability to provide constructive feedback regarding assessment items or design
This role is compensated on a per-task basis. The benefits listed below apply to full-time employees only.
Newsela takes authentic, real world content from trusted sources and makes it instruction ready for K-12 classrooms. Each text is published at five reading levels, so content is accessible to every learner. Today, over 3.3 million teachers and 40 million students have registered with Newsela for content that's personalized to student interests, accessible to everyone, aligned to instructional standards, and attached to activities and reporting that hold teachers accountable for instruction and students accountable for their work. With over 15,000 texts on our platform and multiple new texts published every day across 20+ genres, Newsela enables educators to go deep on any subject they choose.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul.
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself.
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes.
- Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.