Educational Media Specialist, freelance (Florida)
Newsela is committed to improving the lives of teachers and students by providing engaging, student-centered, and culturally responsive resources for the classroom. To meet this commitment, Newsela offers school districts the ability to customize the articles and videos with which their students are able to engage on our platform.
The Educational Media Specialist will be responsible for assessing Newsela’s current approach to its Content Settings tool, ensuring its adherence to Florida state education standards. The Specialist will also be responsible for curating Newsela’s existing archive of 15,000+ content assets specifically for students in Florida by standard and grade appropriateness. They will also assist in curating new content as it is produced.
Why you're a great fit:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Educational Media or Library Science OR a bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, with additional experience in educational media and/or library science
- Must currently hold a Special Certification in Educational Media Specialist (Grades PK-12), in accordance to the Florida State Code 6A-4.0251
- Key understanding of state standards formats
- Ability to recognize content concepts and tag content accordingly
- Prerequisite knowledge of subject-specific content in one or more of the following areas: ELA, Social Studies, Science, History and Economics
This role is compensated on a per-task basis. The benefits listed below apply to full-time employees only.
Newsela takes authentic, real world content from trusted sources and makes it instruction ready for K-12 classrooms. Each text is published at five reading levels, so content is accessible to every learner. Today, over 3.3 million teachers and 40 million students have registered with Newsela for content that's personalized to student interests, accessible to everyone, aligned to instructional standards, and attached to activities and reporting that hold teachers accountable for instruction and students accountable for their work. With over 15,000 texts on our platform and multiple new texts published every day across 20+ genres, Newsela enables educators to go deep on any subject they choose.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul.
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself.
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes.
- Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.