Network Operations Engineer
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Network Operations Engineer
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
We are seeking a skilled Network Operations Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth and reliable operation of our global network and infrastructure. Your duties will include monitoring network performance, troubleshooting issues, and performing maintenance and engineering tasks.
To succeed in this role, you should have an understanding of network protocols and infrastructure, as well as experience with network monitoring and analysis tools. You should also have strong problem-solving skills, and be comfortable collaborating with other teams and stakeholders.
In this role, you’ll:
- Monitor networks and services and respond to outages or incidents in a 24/7 operation rotation ( follow the sun ) to guarantee high availability.
- Progress provisioning / service delivery tasks for carriers and customer interconnections.
- Configure and maintain networking equipment including firewalls, routers, switches, and servers.
- Utilize monitoring tooling to create baselines for network devices and provide reports on the health of the network
- Working through ticketing system on open network issues to be proactive on troubleshoot network faults
- Oversee access by technicians and contractors into PoP sites.
- Escalate complex issues to senior staff as necessary after exhausting troubleshooting options
- Communicate professionally, effectively, and courteously with internal and external customers.
- Participate in an on-call rotation including some weekend and holiday hours in a global follow-the-sun environment.
- Collaborate with team members and work on deployment projects which will help to maximize network infrastructure performance and network upgrades
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table
- A minimum of 3-8 years of experience in a network operations or engineering role in carrier or communications industry.
- Professional level experience troubleshooting and configuring with CLI Juniper Junos preferred or CIsco / other equivalent
- Professional level experience with L2 switching, and L3 routing protocols including OSPF, BGP.
- Experience or knowledge in hardware with a variety of different vendors and across networking platforms such as Cisco, Juniper, Fortigate, Opengear, vMX, vSRX, KVM, VMware
- Cisco CCNA certification or equivalent is preferred
- Willing and able to work an on call rotating roster that will include overnight, weekends, and public holidays - These can be done from home.
- Networking and Telecommunications systems experience.
- Firewall, Router, Server, and Switching hardware experience or knowledge.
- Strong network troubleshooting and resolution skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Ability to work under pressure without direct supervision
- Comfortable working remotely while being effective and efficient with minimal oversight.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or similar discipline. Or equivalent practical experience
- Networking certifications (JNCIA, CCNA, etc)
- Familiarity with network automation tools
- Cloud networking experience (AWS)
- Knowledge/Previous experience with the following systems/tools - JIRA, ServiceNow, Zendesk, Confluence, Zabbix, Datadog, VMware, Git, Ansible, Netbox software would be advantageous
- Knowledge and experience in voice networking protocols, routing and signaling protocols
This role will be remote based in Australia
Approximately <5% travel is expected
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?