Software Architect - Twilio Engage
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Architect for Twilio Engage
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to drive architecture for the Twilio Engage product inside Twilio.
Twilio Engage brings together Segment, SendGrid, and Twilio into a single product, enabling marketers to create omni-channel, hyper-personalized experiences at every step of the customer engagement lifecycle. Twilio Engage is a brand new product that is growing rapidly, and we are seeking an architect to help ensure we are making the right trade offs at this time while laying a strong foundation for our future.
As an architect on Twilio Engage, you will guide the building of key systems and products including event stream processing, high scale analytics, and other mission-critical systems. You will also need to represent Twilio in partnership conversations both internally with other product areas and externally during build vs buy or acquisition investigations.
In this role, you’ll:
- Work with other architecture and business leaders to set overall architecture vision
- Collaborate with multiple domains providing transparency and architectural expertise
- Design end-to-end architecture, participate, and lead architecture reviews
- Collaborate with product and engineering leaders to determine technical feasibility, LOEs, and cost modeling to help manage a technical road map
- Ensure world-class reliability, security and cost-efficiency for everything we build
- Mentor experienced engineering leaders on architecture, best practices, guidelines, and technologies
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Extensive experience building and operating high-scale, mission critical production systems. You have learned enough lessons the hard way that you’re able to share them with others.
- Deep experience in microservice architectures, domain and event driven design
- Deep experience designing, planning and executing scalable and fault-tolerant cloud based distributed systems
- A deep understanding of software/system design patterns, data structures, NoSQL/SQL, relational, backpressure/circuit breaking, distributed caching, and when/how to use them
- A solid understanding of networking, infrastructure, and Kubernetes
- Thought leader in the cloud architecture space with a demonstrated bias for action. Not only will you be designing high level systems, but you can also dive into the details or write the code when the occasion calls for it.
- Ability to balance long-term objectives with urgent short-term needs, helping your engineering partners make good decisions.
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and quickly become an expert in those technologies
- Ability to go deep into tech stacks of other engineering domains and provide guidance on critical issues
- Demonstrated the ability to design complex systems in an iterative and evolutionary manner.
- Ability to influence and build effective working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Passionate about enabling other developers through your leadership and driving teams to efficient decisions.
- Lead by influence rather than directing
- Can successfully lead teams through very challenging engineering problems.
- Strong customer focus, taking the time to really understand their needs and ensure we are solving their problems.
- Solid programming skills in a modern language (ex: Go) and modern protocol stacks (ex: gRPC, Websockets, Thrift)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Your knowledge is only as good as your ability to share it!
- Domain expertise in building large scale Multi-channel Marketing or Customer Data Platform Products.
- Experience identifying and validating partner opportunities.
- Experience conducting technical diligence during acquisition conversation.
- Experience with cost optimization solutions in public cloud
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
No mandatory travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $213,120 - $266,400
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $225,680 - $282,100
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $250,720 - $313,400
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?