Site Reliability Engineer
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Site Reliability Engineer
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
Twilio is hiring Platform Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) for a technical role in our Communications Business Unit to support the operation of Twilio’s worldwide infrastructure to meet high availability, scalability, quality, and reliability goals. As a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) you will be developing and using automated tooling and operational capabilities to enable real-time, low latency services for next-generation communications infrastructure worldwide
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values. Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop, deploy and operate services, following Twilio standard procedures and guidelines, delivering high performance, scalable and zero downtime releases in AWS environments
- Carry out assigned tasks to modernize Twilio services and related infrastructure (including containerisation, OS upgrades and migration to Kubernetes)
- Craft best practices as runbooks and standard operating procedures to share knowledge across teams
- Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- Analyze SLI/SLOs, operational metrics and dashboards to identify and evaluate gaps in systems, services and processes and propose and deliver solutions to close those gaps
- Have the desire to collaborate across teams on best practices to build, test and operate services at scale
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
Twilio has a strong DevOps engineering culture to develop, deploy and operate services that millions of customers use to communicate every day. Twilio is looking for a Site Reliability Engineering Lead with a demonstrated track record of success to live the Twilio Magic. You will have:
- Skills to collaborate across multiple global teams, supporting the development, configuration, deployment, and operations of infrastructure for Twilio’s services
- Depth of operational experience in complex distributed systems, including defining, measuring and monitoring SLI/SLOs towards high availability and reliability goals
- Experience operating large scale Java-based systems in production across multiple regions or data centers in a cloud platform or enterprise scale environment
- Breadth of DevOps experience in building tools and frameworks, with an understanding of continuous deployment processes
- Ability to think at scale, bringing a focus on continuous delivery methodologies from design through deployment and operations
- Experience building and managing systems with tools including Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker, Chef/Ansible/Puppet, and Prometheus
- Schedule: ability to work ‘non-standard’ hours, to overlap as needed with colleagues and stakeholders in other global locations, and with the potential for future on-call rotation, including weekend and holiday hours
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in a DevOps/SRE role
Other desired traits and experience that are applicable to this role include:
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Real time communications. You have strong competencies in low latency, real time communication applications to include relevant domain knowledge in control and media plane protocols, networking, and operating systems.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating services in production.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Databases. You have experience with multiple storage technologies and can reason about how to choose the suitable storage technology for a given purpose.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
This role will be Remote and based in Ireland
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.