Senior Privacy Counsel
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior Privacy Counsel, Global Go to Market and Product
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to support commercial third party engagements and transactions and product privacy. As Senior Privacy Counsel you will be responsible for partnering with our worldwide procurement and commercial teams, as well as other stakeholders, to understand, structure, draft, and negotiate data protection agreements with suppliers and partners and continue to build upon the Twilio privacy brand and to help drive our privacy compliance efforts in product development.
In this role, you’ll:
- Draft and negotiate data protection agreements with suppliers, partners, carriers and other third parties;
- Review new products, product features, and services to ensure compliance with data protection laws;
- Assist with supplier annual privacy reviews and ongoing monitoring;
- Coordinate with a global team of privacy attorneys and professionals to scale and improve processes;
- Perform privacy M&A due diligence and integration;
- On a team rotation basis, monitor and provide expert guidance and support in security incident situations;
- Provide privacy legal support for B2B marketing and advertising activities;
- Triage and prioritize a heavy and dynamic workflow in alignment with enterprise and privacy team priorities, set appropriate expectations with internal business partners while delivering results efficiently;
- Work cross-functionally with Twilio’s Legal, Procurement, Security, Product, Go to Market, Marketing and other teams to ensure company-wide compliance with our privacy requirements.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 4-6 years of post-qualification experience in data protection/privacy law; Qualified to practice in an EU jurisdiction, the UK or another common law jurisdiction (assuming a training period of 2 years);
- Experience negotiating data protection terms of commercial agreements in a B2B context;
- Experience reviewing products and product Privacy Impact Assessments. Familiarity with AI/ML a bonus;
- Well versed in privacy laws, especially the GDPR. Familiarity with additional global laws (CCPA and other US state privacy laws, PIPEDA, LGPD, APPI, UK Data Protection Act, etc) is a bonus;
- Experience supporting security incident situations, notifications and communications with regulators and data subjects;
- Strong English language written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, quick learner with a strong work ethic, sense of initiative, and a good sense of humor.
- Experience with direct marketing in the B2B space;
- At least one CIPP certification.
This role will be remote, and based in Ireland or the United Kingdom.
We are also accepting applications for candidates based in Spain or Estonia - candidates in these locations will need to demonstrate flexibility in handling out-of-hours work to accommodate collaboration with US colleagues.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.