Staff Software Engineer (L4)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Staff Engineer - Phone Numbers team.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
Twilio's Phone Numbers team underpins the Programmable Communications Products. For many of our customers, their first interaction with Twilio is through acquiring and using a phone number. This team is responsible for the systems that power Twilio’s Global Inventory.
As a Staff Engineer, you'll be a pillar of our engineering team, playing a pivotal role in designing, building, and deploying the next generation of our distributed systems and microservices architecture. You will work closely with Product and Design and be responsible for building low latency, highly scalable APIs.
You'll be a technical mentor guiding your team to achieve ambitious goals and push the boundaries of what's technically possible. We're looking for a backend engineer to join us as we begin the next stage of Phone Numbers at Twilio, pushing forward the entire industry in the process
- Architecting for Growth: Design and implement highly scalable, fault-tolerant distributed systems and microservices architectures, ensuring robust performance and reliability. Skilled in defining and implementing effective SLOs and SLIs to measure system health, performance, and user experience.
- Building the Foundation: Craft elegant and efficient code, utilizing synchronous and asynchronous communication patterns as necessary to optimize performance and maintainability. Identify and implement best practices, conduct design and code reviews, and actively contribute to the evolution of our technical standards.
- Modernizing Software: Spearhead the migration and optimization of our tech stack to leverage the modern technologies, ensuring future-proof scalability and agility while maintaining backward compatibility.
- Mentoring: Mentor and guide junior engineers, fostering a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning within the team.
- Communication and Collaboration: Partner effectively with cross-functional teams, bridging the gap between technical vision and business goals. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, able to articulate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. Create clear and concise technical documentation, including design decisions, architecture diagrams, and best practices, for future reference and knowledge sharing.
- Oncall: Participate in an on-call rotation and ensure timely response to production incidents and system outages. Collaborate in blameless postmortems for production incidents, focusing on root cause analysis, learning opportunities, and actionable improvement plans.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 8+ years of experience with a proven track record of designing, building, and deploying large, scalable distributed systems and microservices architectures. Expert in utilizing asynchronous communication patterns like Kafka or similar tools to achieve optimal performance and decoupling.
- 7+ years of experience in Java, including advanced concepts like concurrency, threading, and performance optimization. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- 5+ years of experience with a strong understanding of relational databases like MySQL, including query optimization and data modeling principles.
- Practical experience with cloud platforms like AWS, including containerization technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and collaboration skills, able to articulate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. A healthy ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Experience with mentoring junior experience
- Experience being on call for high scale production systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- Prior experience working with PHP and Knowledge of modern front-end technologies such as React, Typescript, Node.js, or equivalent frameworks is a plus
- Experience with security best practices and threat modeling for distributed systems.
This role will be based in remotely in India.
Approximately 5% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.