Staff, Data Engineer (L4)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Staff Data Engineer, Data Platform team.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
This position is needed to build a highly scalable, reliable, and efficient data platform that makes it easy for users to get deep insights from vast amounts of distributed data. This data platform will be a differentiator for Twilions and our customers.
We are the data backbone for strategic decisions at Twilio. This role will be responsible for delivering key technical decisions to completion for the organization and also guiding other engineers.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop, construct, test, and maintain data architectures (e.g., databases, large-scale processing systems).
- Design and implement efficient data pipelines for the acquisition, storage, and analysis of large datasets.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand data requirements and implement solutions.
- Technically lead a small team comprising 2-3 junior engineers to successfully deliver a project or module.
- Ensure the availability and integrity of data pipelines and systems.
- Optimize and fine-tune performance of data solutions.
- Troubleshoot and resolve data-related issues in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain documentation for data processes and pipelines.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends related to data engineering.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 8 - 12 years of technical experience in Data Engineering/Data Infrastructure and Data Platforms.
- Must have experience in technically leading a team of 2-3 junior engineers and successfully delivering projects or modules in past roles.
- Build data systems and pipelines
- Proven experience in high-level programming languages, like Scala, Python, Java.
- Deep technical understanding of needle moving technologies like Kafka, Spark, dbt, Hudi-based data lake, Presto, ETL tools, low-latency data stores, multiple data warehouses and a data catalog.
- Proficiency in working with large datasets and distributed computing frameworks (e.g., Hadoop, Spark).
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts and best practices.
- Demonstrated technical breadth and depth as evidenced by papers, code, and/or presentations
- Clear understanding of the software development lifecycle from reviewing requirements to debugging complex systems in production
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Familiarity with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud).
- Proven experience in software development methodologies.
- Experience working independently and as part of a team. Will take the initiative to drive projects forward even under ambiguous circumstances.
- Experience working in Agile methodology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer focus.
- Familiarity with real-time data processing and streaming technologies.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Create tools that make it easy for non-technical users to easily, and reliably, transform and query data.
This role will be based remotely in Bangalore.
Approximately 10% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.