Staff Software Engineer - Identity Platform
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Staff Software Engineer (L4) for the Identity Platform Team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to help us build and operate the next generation of enterprise-grade identity services that power security, identity and access management for all of Twilio’s products.
Twilio's Identity and Access Management (IAM) Platform, helps our customers connect to and use the Twilio products that make their businesses successful. Our platform has global reach and operates at cloud scale. Our challenge is to enable our customers, and to protect their data, while providing mission critical IAM features on the Twilio platform.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build a globally distributed IAM platform powering authentication and authorization across Twilio and its associated member platforms
- Build tools and API’s enabling internal product groups to onboard onto a unified and singular IAM platform within the company
- Deliver new products and services to increase the safety and reliability of the services comprising of the broader product platform group
- Collaborate with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers to help define, break down and prioritize work in partnership with the team. Be a point of contact for technical systems your team owns.
- Automate and enhance our tools to improve their efficacy and the team’s efficiency
- Write top class code and cover it with unit, integration, and cluster tests to achieve high levels of code coverage and detect defects prior to release
- Plan and Lead team projects
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers on the team
- Deploy code to the cloud; learn and use AWS, K8s, CI/CD, Front-end frameworks, and Back-end service building techniques
- Learn Twilio’s distributed system and microservices architecture through interactions with Senior Engineers, Principals, and Architects.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of experience building resilient, high-throughput services and distributed systems
- Comfortable with asynchronous communications and multi-threading concepts and languages
- Experience with technologies like MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka, Redis, Memcached
- Strong understanding of REST APIs
- Experience troubleshooting complex production issues
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science or a related field
- Experience with IAM protocols such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, SCIM
- Experience with security fundamentals like encryption, message signing and verification
- Experience with IAM cloud directory products such as Google Cloud Directory, or Azure directory services.
- Experience with Java and or Scala
This role will be remote and based in the United States but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, San Jose, CA, or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $164,480 - $205,600.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $174,160 - $217,700.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.