Messaging Operations Engineer (L3)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Messaging Operations Engineer (L3).
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
This position is needed to conduct strategic carrier operations, essential for ensuring best-in-class service quality in worldwide SMS traffic. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and enhancing Twilio's comprehensive network of carrier connectivities. Key responsibilities include optimizing reliability, redundancy, capacity, and uptime, as well as providing Level 2 support to frontline teams in addressing and resolving carrier network issues. We are looking for a candidate who is not only passionate about customer service but also possesses extensive global SMS knowledge, with a particular emphasis on the Latin American messaging ecosystem. The ideal individual should excel in problem-solving, refining processes, tools, and procedures for efficient team operations. This position demands a results-oriented approach, a willingness to confront complex challenges, a proactive "can-do" attitude, and a dedication to exceeding customer expectations.
In this role, you’ll:
- Act as escalation point for NOC and Customer Services team for complex routing/quality issues and manage monitoring and alerting for all aspects of SMS Delivery completion and quality
- Identify, test and analyze new and existing carrier connectivity to unlock new quality and pricing opportunities
- Work on cross-team projects with Product, Engineering, Business Development, and other technical teams acting as subject-matter-expert for the International Messaging Operations Team.
- Create and maintain accurate and easy to follow internal documentation of new and existing operational processes.
- Identify opportunities to automate and streamline operational processes further and work with software engineers to define the tools necessary to do this.
- Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- Work with our teams in a full transparent and respectful manner.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 6+ years experience in production/systems engineering, operations, analytical or routing role for SMS and/or MMS
- Advanced experience in an SMS Operations / Routing role at a Tier 1 carrier or aggregator.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Fluency in performing analysis and evaluation using key operational metrics.
- Have the technical ability to understand software and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, and engage with product managers
- Technically savvy and experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility is a plus.
- Experience in complex troubleshooting and resolve critical or escalated technical issues
- Thorough, organized, and process-oriented to the extreme. You’re an expert at prioritizing and executing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience working with aggregators / MNOs on the messaging front (interconnections, traffic management, troubleshooting of production issues within messaging space)
- Advanced understanding of SMS messaging from a carrier and aggregator (Core Network and VAS) perspectives
- Advanced experience in SMS troubleshooting (e.g. Traceroute, TCP Dump, SMPP, MM4, MM7 protocols) and understanding of basic AWS / Networking connectivity concepts
- Experience using troubleshooting tools such as Kibana, Datadog, Looker and other reporting and presentation tools like Looker, MIRO, and ticketing tools such as Zendesk, ServiceNow, JIRA
- Proficiency in SQL and data analysis tools
- Ability to build effective working relationships with cross-functional teams including Product, Engineering, Operations and Commercial teams across offices and regions.
- Thrives on working in a collaborative and inclusive environment
This role will be based in our Bogota, Colombia (Remote)
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.