Software Engineer (L3) - Data Infrastructure / AI
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio's next Software Engineer - Data Infrastructure / AI on our Core Platform team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
As a Software Engineer at Twilio, you’ll build systems that unlock customer data in new and industry-leading ways. You will collaborate across major product areas of Segment Customer Data Platform (CDP) to lead engineering on highly anticipated features built on top of modern data warehouses. To be successful, you will design, implement, and operate new large scale distributed systems while acting as a multiplier to the greater business unit helping support key strategic engineering initiatives.
We iterate quickly on these products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design and solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
In this role, you’ll:
- Dive into our dataset and design, implement, and scale data pre/post-processing pipelines.
- Work on applied ML solutions in the areas of query processing, data mining, cleaning, normalizing and modeling.
- Design and build data platforms & frameworks for processing high volumes of data, in real-time as well as batch, that will be used across engineering teams.
- Build data processing streams for cleaning and modeling text data for LLMs
- Shape the decision-making process for data architecture to effectively deliver insights to the business.
- Research and evaluate new technologies in the big data space to guide our continuous improvement
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams to help tune the performance of large data applications
- Partner with Data Engineering, IT, and business units to ensure the creation of high-quality data solutions that are consistent, clean, and integrated.
- Conduct data exploration and profiling using analysis, design, and presentation tools.
- Identify and assess business impacts resulting from strategic initiatives.
- Deliver analytics solutions to support key business decisions and enhance operational efficiency.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experience using big data technologies (Airflow, Spark, pySpark, Presto, Athena)
- AWS experience
- Demonstrated prior experience in creating data pipelines for text data sets NLP/ large language models
- Experience building and maintaining ETL (managing high-quality reliable ETL pipelines)
- Previous experience in building data pipelines for conversational AI APIs
This role will be remote, and based in the United States. This role will be remote but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, San Jose, CA, or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $135,920 - $169,900.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $143,920 - $179,900.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.