Senior Counsel / Director, Regulatory & Commercial
Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals.
Via is looking for an exceptional lawyer to join our European Legal team. As Senior Counsel, you will be joining our dynamic and growing Legal Department, with a particular focus on revenue-generating commercial contracts and regulatory law in the EU (primarily Germany and France, but also in other EU jurisdictions and the UK). You will work closely with all members of our global Legal team, and with business and product colleagues across the organization at a fast-growing technology company.
What You’ll Do:
- As a legal contact for our Partnerships team, you will manage multiple deals and support commercial contracting in the DACH region and across Europe, with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations for our on-demand transit deployments, particularly in Germany.
- Assist in the formulation, communication and implementation of compliance policies and procedures for a high-growth international business in a shifting regulatory space.
- Draft, review and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex transit tech contracts, including standard SaaS (Software as a Service) contracts and more complex deals with robust add-on services, with a wide variety of domestic and international, public and private sector customers.
- Advise on contract terms and regulatory requirements for RfPs and public procurement processes across Europe.
- Ensure GDPR and data privacy law compliance, overseeing Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Respond to inquiries on contract interpretation and compliance from EU business stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams on commercial and regulatory matters, providing legal advice on risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies.
Who You Are:
- Attorney with minimum of 8-10 years experience, preferably at a top law firm, in-house legal department or a combination of the two, including significant commercial legal and transactional experience.
- Experience advising a high-growth business in a heavily regulated industry on complex regulatory and local law compliance issues.
- Strong commercial drafter and negotiator with experience in both commercial contracts and tech transactions.
- Fully fluent reading/writing/speaking/contract drafting capabilities in German and English.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail.
- Team player who is willing to wear multiple hats and work on deals of all types.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills as well as commercial acumen.
- An innovative thinker with the ability to devise creative and practical solutions to address challenges.
- Excited by a dynamic culture, workspace, and environment.
What We Offer:
- Joining a global employer with over 600 mobility deployments in 35+ countries
- Becoming part of a company that was awarded for its commitment to social good:
- We are one of “17 Ventures That Embody the U.N.’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals”
- Inc. Magazine’s “Best in Business” Awardee in the software category for Companies That Put Purpose Before Profit
- Competitive compensation including bonus and stock options
- 30 vacation days a year
- Urban Sports Club membership
- A lovely office situated in the heart of Berlin, at Rosa Luxemburg Straße
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.