Senior Product Designer
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Catchafire has delivered over $236M in services to nonprofits, has facilitated over 1.2M hours of volunteering with over 60,000 matches, and we’re tracking to deliver $1B annually in services within 5 years. We have achieved ~40+% year over year revenue growth over the past several years and are poised for accelerated revenue and impact growth by scaling our foundation business.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
- Read our 2022 Impact Report
- See how our nonprofits have been serving their communities through COVID-19
- Get to know some of our Nonprofits more deeply
- Get to know our Nonprofit programming through our webinars
Catchafire is a remote-first workplace. We provide accommodations to help with home office set up. All roles are remote full time (unless stated in job description), with the expectation that the employee is willing and able to travel periodically as deemed necessary and beneficial.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment at this time.
About the role
Catchafire is looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our 100% remote, growing Product Design/User Experience Team, working on our evolving digital platform and bringing new products aimed at new customer segments to market. Our platform is a dual-sided marketplace supporting the needs of two vastly different audiences – skilled volunteers and nonprofit organizations, making it a unique and challenging opportunity from a UX perspective.
This role will act as a senior-level product designer on a cross-functional agile Team, working as an individual contributor on new product design and existing feature optimizations. It requires a systems thinker who can take an interactive solution from concept to full-fidelity design specifications. They should have deep knowledge of UX best practices and principles and be able to apply them appropriately to solve user needs. They should care about using UX design responsibly to make the world (and our customers’ experience) a better place.
This role reports to the VP of Brand & User Experience.
- Partner with relevant stakeholders to define and maintain the product roadmap
- Work with stakeholders to achieve company and platform goals via continuous experimentation and build aimed at moving defined, prioritized metrics
- Collaborate with Front-End Engineering lead to govern our design system and continue its evolution, in addition to collaborating on optimizing strategies.
Feature & Enhancement Design
- Work collaboratively with product owners, VP of User Experience, and stakeholders to conceptualize and design solutions that drive new value
- Conduct competitive and comparative research to inform new features
- Partner with cross functional team members to conduct user research that informs new product offerings
- Wireframe new concepts and create user flows of complex, multi-user interactions
- Create interactive prototypes for user validation
- Plan and conduct usability testing to validate designs and ensure solutions are effective, intuitive, and usable and iterate designs based on the results
- Efficiently & effectively utilize patterns and components from our library to solve user stories and business requirements
- Create high-fidelity designs of features that include all states and variables that interactions must support
- Create technical specifications to hand off to the development team
- Work closely with developers to ensure designs are implemented with accuracy and quality to provide a frictionless experience for users
- Conduct Design Review of developed features and enhancements
Management & Growth
- Develop and grow your management skills with the opportunity to oversee associate-level designers
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, start-up environment, adapt to changing priorities, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- An interest in learning about product management
- Being flexible to take on tasks (such as requirements gathering, user stories, acceptance criteria) to support the pod PM as needed.
- Strategic Thinker: You think about solutions from all user perspectives, considering the user's needs and championing accessibility, while balancing business goals and technical feasibility all perspectives considering the business and user needs as well as technical feasibility.
- Growth mindset: You understand industry best practices and are always seeking to up your technical ability and design craft. You share your findings with your team and foster an environment of learning and innovation.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial spirit: You aren't satisfied with what everyone else is doing. You constantly strive to improve your skills, knowledge, and personal development.
- Lead Design Discussions: You can communicate your interactive design solutions to the product team clearly and provide rationale grounded on UX best practices and design principles.
- Pragmatic Problem Solver: You can balance championing your vision and aspiration while proposing near-term solutions when needed.
- Humility: You are skilled at the art of design critiques. You participate by giving thoughtful rationale, prompting for all points of view, and consider alternative points of view. You understand critiques are a safe space for exploration and feedback.
Ideal candidates will have:
- 5+ years working as a product designer, UX designer, interaction designer, or web designer
- Human-centered design and service design thinking approach to guide the discovery and production of low-fidelity and high-fidelity concepts
- Desire to work iteratively on concepts, prototypes, and detailed UI informed by user research, marketplace and behavior trends, and your best ideas
- Solid understanding of design principles, typography, color theory, and interaction design which translate into strong UI design
- Experience in designing, building, and managing a Design System
- Expert skills with Figma in setting up and maintaining design systems with tokens, components, and variables
- Knowledge of WCAG accessibility standards and ability to spec work according to accessibility guidelines
- Experience designing and building digital products for both responsive and native
- Experience documenting functional requirements and design specifications
- Experience working directly with developers
- Preferred technologies: Figma, FigJam, Zeroheight, Miro
- Familiarity with and interest in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and specifically how these concepts manifest in a professional setting
Compensation & Benefits
- The compensation range for this role is between $100,000 - 132,000 base salary.
- Benefits include Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, work-from-home design, a generous vacation policy, access to a 401k Plan, and a Home Office Set-up stipend.
Must be able to share an online portfolio of interactive project work or equivalent.