To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Electrical engineering at Formlabs involves bringing our hardware to life: we are responsible for developing the hardware and low-level embedded software powering our 3D printers and accessories.
In this role, you will:
- Design and build prototypes and production electronic systems, applying a variety of skills: circuit design, PCB layout, embedded firmware development, testing and debugging, and more
- Work in cross-disciplinary teams to design sensing, motion, optical, and thermal systems
- Be a product-focused engineer: develop system requirements, performance specifications, and design decisions based on understanding the needs of our users and the end product goals
- Grow into owning system-level architecture and mentoring other engineers
To be successful, you should:
- Have a track record of designing and building non-trivial electronic systems. Maybe this means you have years of experience in industry and have shipped multiple products, or maybe it means you have done some complex personal projects. Either way, outstanding candidates will be able to show off a history of successful projects.
- Be an engineering generalist, even if there are specialties that interest you. Our team does not assign engineers to technical specialties, but rather asks them to own systems and subsystems. Outstanding candidates will be very experienced with circuit and PCB design, but also familiar with electromechanical and/or software engineering.
- Be hands-on: engineers on our team are just as at-home in the lab or machine shop as they are on a computer.
- Be motivated by creating great products, and interested in supporting designs throughout the product life cycle from conducting early research to debugging field failures.
Skills we look for:
This is a list of some of the things we rely on for our work. You do not need experience with all of these to be considered.
- Analog circuit design (e.g. ADC and DAC front-ends, signal conditioning, power amplifiers, etc.)
- Embedded system hardware and firmware development (e.g. microcontroller selection and implementation, high-speed signaling, communication bus and protocol development, etc.)
- Motor and actuator driver design and tuning
- Signal filtering, signal processing, and feedback control systems
- Line voltage power electronics design
- EMC, signal integrity, power integrity, and safety design, validation, and debugging
Our Perks & Benefits:
- Robust equity program to build future wealth through RSUs
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Low cost fund options in our 401K and access to advisors
- Generous paid Parental Leave (up to 16 weeks)
- Tenure-based paid Sabbatical Leave (up to 6 weeks)
- Flexible Out of Office Plan – Take time when you need it
- Ample on-site parking & pre-tax commuter benefits
- Healthy on-site lunches, snacks, beverages, & treats
- Regular sponsored professional development opportunities
- Many opt-in culture events across our diverse community
- And of course… unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.