Manager, Machine Learning
Numerade is an education technology company on a mission to close education opportunity gaps.
This is your opportunity to join a profitable, cash flow positive, venture-backed startup early and build something remarkable at the intersection of education and technology.
- Since our launch in 2019, our video-based virtual learning platform has helped over 100 million students gain confidence in STEM subjects, from algebra to quantum mechanics and beyond.
- We’ve built the world's largest STEM video library, creating the AI tutor category.
- We have 60,000 passionate educators creating video content and sharing their knowledge with students around the world.
At Numerade, we are committed to building a virtual learning platform for everyone: For students who want to understand. For educators who love to teach. And for parents who care. Our purpose goes beyond helping students get good grades – we want to support true understanding and help students and educators alike find meaning in education. Both internally and externally, we work to foster a supportive community that encourages honest answers over easy solutions, and we are motivated by the feeling of accomplishment rather than the fear of failure. If you share our commitment to learning, our belief in continuous progress, and our restless curiosity, we want to hear from you.
We are seeking an experienced, visionary Manager of Machine Learning to lead our Machine Learning team. The Manager of Machine Learning will play a critical role in steering the strategic direction of our AI/ ML efforts and advancing our mission to make learning more accessible, engaging, and impactful.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Drive the strategic vision, planning, and execution of our machine learning initiatives.
- Lead and mentor a team of data scientists, machine learning engineers, and AI specialists, promoting a culture of continuous learning and innovation.
- Develop and implement robust ML models that support personalized learning experiences for millions of students
- Collaborate with product teams, software engineers, and UX/UI designers to integrate ML functionalities into our product offerings.
- Stay updated on the latest industry trends and advancements in machine learning, AI, and EdTech, and use this knowledge to inform our ML strategy.
- Communicate complex machine learning concepts and outcomes to stakeholders across the organization in a clear, concise manner.
- Implement best practices to ensure the quality, reliability, and scalability of machine learning systems.
- Define key metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of ML models and use these metrics to drive improvements.
- 6+ years of experience in machine learning, data science, or similar roles.
- 2+ years of experience managing and coaching high-performing teams
- Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, or a related field.
- Strong knowledge of machine learning frameworks and libraries (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Expertise with software development and programming languages (e.g., Python, Java).
- Hands-on experience with GPUs and optimization
- Solid understanding of machine learning algorithms, statistical concepts, and data structures.
- Familiarity with cloud-based machine learning platforms (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud).
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases, and other NoSQL databases such as AWS Dynamo
- Proven track record of implementing machine learning models in real-world applications.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Experience with NLP and generative models, particularly in an educational context.
- Contributed ideas and/or concepts that support the generation of intellectual property or published papers.
- Prior experience in the EdTech industry.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical ideas to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience with designing/building data pipelines and related frameworks
- Experience with data warehouses and data lakes
- Passionate about building incredible consumer products
- Comfortable with ambiguity: if you don’t have all the details, you’re comfortable moving forward and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivate you to evolve and innovate.
- A mix of hands-on collaborative leadership ability, analytical / problem-solving skills, entrepreneurial can-do spirit, and grit.
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive salary with a significant upside in equity
- Health + dental + vision coverage offered for both employees and their dependents
- 401k plan
- Work from home, or wherever. We’re remote-first!
- Flexible PTO, holiday, and leave policies, including paid parental leave for new parents - We want you to take time to relax, recharge, and reset!
- Remote-friendly environment and culture that nurtures company and team events to stay connected
Articles and recognition:
We were selected as one of the best 150 Edtech companies in the world by ASU & GVS: https://www.asugsvsummit.com/gsv-150
Check out our blog to learn more about us! https://www.numerade.com/blog/
Be authentic. Come as you are: Numerade is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Numerade is a remote-first company.