Staff Software Engineer
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Full Stack Engineer on the Customer Experience team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to grow and evolve Twilio Engage, a product launched in mid-2021, as we push for growth and adoption with Twilio’s 20k+ customers. Twilio Engage brings together Segment, SendGrid, and Twilio into a single product, enabling marketers to create omni-channel, hyper-personalized experiences at every step of the customer engagement lifecycle. Twilio Engage is growing rapidly, and we are seeking a Full Stack Engineer to join our Experiences team. This role will help define and build the necessary customer experiences for Twilio Engage to serve our large customers.
This product requires scaling a complex front-end while still delivering new rich UI features. The design challenges are meaty, and you’ll be expected to work closely with design and research to iterate on a fast-changing product.
You will need to understand and articulate the trade-offs between new functionality and stability. You will need to persuade all involved to make the right architectural choices for the long term technical and financial health of the product.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build out new functionality within a young product seeing rapid adoption
- Guide a team of engineers through difficult architectural trade-offs
- Generate detailed design documents and action plans for features slated for development
- Mentor engineers earlier in career on technical matters great and small
- Lead strategic technical initiatives that impact the entire engineering organization
- Rapidly acquire new technical skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, high-delivery environment
- Manage your work through the use of Github, Jira, and our build/deploy systems
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language (language agnostic)
- 4+ years experience building UI products using frontend frameworks
- Significant experience crafting APIs, like you understand that a good API contract is a critical part of a good UI
- Owned and operated services end-to-end, from requirements gathering and design, to debugging and testing, to release management and operational monitoring
- An entrepreneurial approach, ready to assemble and lead cross-functional teams
- Excellent collaborator. Ability to foster alignment cross-functionally and cross-organizationally
- Schedule: Ability to work non-standard, on-call rotation weekend and holiday hours, shared evenly with all engineers on the team. We believe that we are responsible for the code we write and how it runs in production
- You have a strong understanding of UX patterns and are passionate about building intuitive UIs that customers will love
- You love partnering with design to create impactful customer experiences and not just implementing designs that are tossed over the fence
- You’ve had a demonstrable history with at least one of GraphQL or REST
- You've worked on high-scale web applications and understand the architecture patterns that make them successful (e.g., well-designed APIs, efficient algorithms)
- A highly effective collaborator, you work well with your team and your partners in product and design towards common goals
This role will be remote and based in the USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $160,080 - $200,100
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $169,520 - $211,900
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $188,320 - $235,400
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?